UZZANO – 7 KM 7 FROM MONTECATINI TERME
Uzzano, a municipality in the Valdinievole halfway between Pescia and Buggiano, despite being a small village, has numerous artistic testimonies, most of which are collected in the Castle.
Of particular interest is the Church of Santi Jacopo e Martino, built at the beginning of the 13th century, which houses valuable works of art by local authors, including a Romanesque stoup, a marble baptismal font with a wooden lid from the XVII century, a Renaissance statue representing Sant’Antonio Abate attributed to Giovanni Della Robbia from the XVI century, the XVII century wooden Crucifix of the main altar and a painting by Alessio Gimignani (1567-1651) representing the Marriage of the Virgin.
On the main town square stands the Palazzo del Capitano, whose construction dates back to the 13th century by the Republic of Florence. It was initially the seat of the Podesta and later the seat of the municipality until 1773.
Today it houses the municipal historical archive, which collects documents from the end of the 13th century. In the main hall there is a fifteenth-century fresco by an unknown artist depicting the Madonna enthroned with child and Saints Jacopo and Martino, patrons of the community.
There are also two seventeenth-century oratories, one dedicated to the Madonna del Canale, with paintings by Alessandro Bardelli (1583-1633), to whom the ornamentation of the image of the Madonna is also attributed, the other to Sant’Antonio da Padova , the latter originally chapel of the Franciscan female convent of Saints Francis and Elizabeth, suppressed at the end of the eighteenth century by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorraine.